3 Fitness Coaches Discuss the Awesomeness of Deadlifts
There is no lift on Earth more badass than the deadlift.
You either lift the weight or you don’t. Period.
But many people avoid this lift because they’ve been told that it can cause injury. Well, sure, anything can cause injury if you do it wrong.
So this month on Coaches Corner, Nick Sorrell, Tanner Baze, and myself hop on a call to chat all things deadlifts.
How to progress deadlifts if your new, how to get through sticking points, how to program deadlifts, and tips on pulling the weight off the floor.
In this episode we discuss:
- As primal as it gets
- Why Tanner went sumo
- Sumo BroScience
- Trap bar deadlift
- Problems with high rep deadlifts
- Accessory work to alleviate or fix back problems with deadlifts
- Reverse Hyperextension
- Glute-Ham Raise
- It’s like flossing your teeth
- Cable Pull-Through vs Kettlebell Swings
- Hip Hinge Cues
- Programming Deadlifts
- Rep ranges for deadlifts
- Quad recruitment in the trap bar deadlift
- Deadlifting during a bulk
- Kettlebell/Dumbbell Deadlift—> Trap Bar—> Sumo Barbell Deadlift—> Conventional Barbell Deadlift
- What type of deadlift we learned first
- Ben Bruno
- Why you should video tape your lifts
- Hitching while deadlifting ala The Mountain of Game of Thrones
- Mistakes not to make while deadlifting
- Should you or should you not use a belt?
- What muscles to train to make your deadlift more kick ass
- Pallof Press
- Cues or tricks to get stronger
- The best program is the one you’re not doing
- Power Primer 2.0
- Training for pure strength
- Pull the fuck out of the weight