Episode 94: Interview with Ransom Pugh of Muscle and Magicka
Ransom Pugh is the brainchild behind the hit YouTube Channel Muscle and Magicka. The creed of his channel is:
“ours is the unrelenting quest for truth and exp. points. Leveling up through both dungeon & dead lift alike. Spreading the light of fitness/nutritional science.”
Is there anyone more perfect for me to talk about fitness and video games with? No. Ransom is the bomb diggity.
Beyond starting the YouTube channel, Ransom has an amazing story himself.
Ransom battled and defeated cancer at a young age. During his battle, he found that his only solace was the time he spent in the gym. When he wasn’t recovering from treatment with gaming marathons. He was in the gym working to keep his body battling at tip top shape.
Like myself, Ransom has a background in theater. His YouTube videos are high quality. Delivering his message with the perfect mix of sarcasm, intellect, and the nerdiest of references.
Digging into the lore of Dragonball Z, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, and every great video game series ever made, Ransom delivers fitness information weaved with stories of what nerds (like myself) connect with the most.
What I try and do with writing, Ransom has succeeded with in video format.
In this episode we discuss:
- His story and his creation of Muscle and Magicka
- Surviving Hodgkins Lymphoma
- Comfort eating
- Eating a Ketogenic diet
- How he found his experience bar
- His initial reaction to his diagnosis with cancer
- Experiences gained while going through cancer treatment
- What his life looked like while fighting cancer
- The games that allowed him to escape
- The expansive universe of Elder Scrolls
- The power of storytelling and living the life of a hero
- Using your imagination to conquer your goals
- Why heroes with flaws are more meaningful
- How he plays an RPG initially
- Hercules the Legendary Journey
- Alan Aragon
- How more science on studies can be a double-edged sword
- My Time in the Church of Paleo
- His biggest mistake with his fitness quest
- Finding balance in his beliefs
- Games he’s playing right now
- Black Desert Online
- What animal from Nerdtopia he would be (Animorphs)
- Magical creature carousel
- Where he’d go in a time machine
- Dragonball Z and it’s music
- What is a bromage
- Looking at Arnold in Venice
- Reality is Broken
- Why he thinks gamers are better suited to conquer life
- How MMOs can help you develop unique communication skills
- Most overrated game ever and most underrated game ever
- What video game quote guides his drive in life
- “What is better, to be born good, or to overcome our evil nature through dedication and determination”